Who we are
The Mosaic Interfaith Out of the Cold Program is an organization that coordinates shelters for the homeless within York Region.
Out of the Cold is a coalition of over 50 interfaith communities in York Region. Shelters are operated by 12 host communities:
- Jaffari Islamic Centre
- Temple Har Zion
- Thornhill United Church (in partnership with Holy Trinity Anglican Church and Thornhill Baptist Church)
- St. Luke's Catholic Parish
- Rouge Valley Mennonite Church
- Toronto Christian Community Church
- Vaughan Community Church
- St. Mary's Anglican Church (in partnership with Richmond Hill United Church, Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church, Emanuel Anglican Church, and the Richmond Hill Meeting House.
- The Bridge Markham Community Church
- Ahmadiya Islamic Community (in partnership with Humanity First)
- St. George's Anglican Church
The faith communities that we partner with offer their facilities as an overnight shelter, they gather volunteers to serve the guests. Out of the Cold provides each partner site with support services such as funding, mattresses, transportation of guests, security and volunteer training.
What we do
We provide overnight shelters in York Region 7 nights a week during the coldest months of the year (November to March) at our 10 host community sites. For 7 nights each week, between 50-75 men and women are served a sit-down meal, provided with clean clothes, shower facilities, medical care, entertainment such as movies and music, and overnight accommodation. Each night up to 40 people sleep overnight, eat a full breakfast, are provided with a bagged lunch, and public transportation tokens. Support services such as on-site nurses and referrals to other agencies are also provided. The program is primarily run by volunteers and relies heavily on the support and dedication of volunteers who offer their time, comfort and hospitality to the guests that use the program.
We aim to provide shelter and food to the homeless and poor through a network of interfaith community partners under the principle of compassion, acceptance and safe refuge.
To see society understand and accept homelessness and poverty, and actively participate in solutions. We seek to achieve strong, vibrant communities that encompass good health, safe shelter, compassion, and opportunities for all citizens.